Slack channel: #d-carbon-footprint
Reducing Carbon in the digital realm
25-30 min talk, on understanding and reducing emissions if you’re a tech company. Talk by @chris, Adams, with QnA at Chaos Computing Congress in Leipzig Dec 2019.
Lists providers, and existing frameworks for calculating it, and common challenges. (Sorry it’s not that polished I was pretty nervous - C)
The deck used from the conference. It covers scoped emissions, demand response, serverless, the link between web performance and carbon emissions and so on:
Providers of tools to track CO2 emissions within organisations
- https://ecometrica.com - established, larger SaaS used by companies with more than 200 ppl. No public pricing.
- https://www.salesforce.com/products/sustainability-cloud/overview - Salesforce sustainability cloud is the first foray into this space.
Existing SaaS from early stage startups
- https://plana.earth - Berlin based startup aimed at helping SMEs understand their carbon footprint. Incubated by Boston Consulting Group Digital Ventures
- https://www.tmrow.com - carbon footprinting for loads of stuff, from the makers of electricity map. Focussed on individual emissions.
- https://normative.io - CO2 footprint service that plugs into accounting/ERP software to autogenerate scoped emissions figures and reports suitable for ESG reporting.
- https://co2analytics.com - another company, doing the ERP -> CO2. They offer a free plan to get a one off scoped emissions footprint. Founded in the UK, but now based in the US.
- Amazon’s paper on how they work out their own footprint, annotated with notes from @chris using Hypothes.is - (note from C: I use hypothesis to share notes as I research. Would love if other CATs gave it a try too )
Open source stuff on github
- https://github.com/protea-earth/carbon_footprint an open source project
- https://github.com/openfootprint/ - designed to be the wordpress of carbon emissions calculators.